Sunday, April 1, 2012

Snitchgate

I meant to write about this BS when I first heard about it but unfortunately time did not permit. Apparently current Carolina Panthers tight end Jeremy Shockey was outed by former Buccaneers and Raiders defensive end as the "snitch" in the sordid "Bounty Affair" currently embroiling the New Orleans Saints. I say apparently because I didn't see the original tweet where Shockey was blamed. I don't know if Shockey did tell the NFL or not, and frankly it doesn't matter who did. The whole point of the matter is that whoever did so, did exactly the right thing, and deserves a medal for courage and conviction.


Bounties offered by the New Orleans Saints, and if I hear correctly, by other teams as well, are simply despicable. Completely against the mores and norms of society and what should be totally illegal in the microcosm that is professional sport. So to brand someone a snitch Mr Sapp, and I use the term loosely, is just asinine. Warren you should be ashamed of yourself. You obviously think that the bounty program is a legitimate part of the NFL. WRONG. You should be admitting that a bounty on an opponent is sadly pathetic and out of step with what you supposedly stand for, sportsmanship. Time to change your tune.

Following on from this story the Commissioner of the National Football League, Roger Goodell, stated in rebuttal that, he didn't just classify Sapp's naming of Shockey as "inaccurate," he also said it was inaccurate to name a single "snitch" and that it was several sources who provided the information to the league office. Goodell didn't fire Sapp from the NFL Network, which would have been just, so maybe Warren will have more time to think before opening his mouth again without engaging his brain. Not that Warren is the only human ever to do that.

Goodell also handed out some very appropriate punishment for some of the officials at the center of "Bountygate", Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely and I admit I would not be unhappy if he never coached in the NFL again. Sean Payton, the heretofore well-respected coach of the Saints, has been suspended for a year. How the Saints are going to cope with that is beyond me right now. For me personally, my respect for Payton and soft-spot for the Saints has well and truly disappeared.

No comments:

Post a Comment