Monday, November 22, 2010

Has the 'Holy War' Become An Unholy Mess?

You know the Holy War I am talking about... right? The yearly battle between Utah's Running Utes and the Cougars of BYU. It is one of the truly great rivalries of college football and deserves to be so. But has the whole competition situation between the two schools, state and religious just become far too uncivil and discordant? Many think so and yearn for the years where it was much more good-natured and friendly.

I think the best international rivalry is between the sports fans of Australia and New Zealand. In most instances the meeting of the fans during the game, and I mean any games, whether, rugby, league or cricket, is intense but happy. At the end, you usually find both sets in the same pub, having a beer together. That's the way it should be, a good hard-fought game, and lots of fun for both teams' followers later on.

I remember clearly, former BYU quarterback Max Hall, now playing for the Arizona Cardinals famously saying, "I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, their fans. I hate everything,". The year before apparently, Utah fans had poured beer on members of his family. Neither incident is endearing and plainly not the stuff from which legends are made. I hope it's better this year and in the many seasons to come. I also hope for a Utes win, coz I bleed red too.

No comments:

Post a Comment